The Springfield Art Museum has cancelled all public programs and events until May 11 to assist in efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19. At this time, The Museum will remain open to walk-in traffic during normal hours of operation; however, the Family Art Lab will remain closed during this period.
As a department of the City of Springfield, Missouri, The Museum has been closely monitoring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) reports on COVID-19 and following recommendations from City leadership, the Springfield-Greene County Health Department, and the state of Missouri. Current recommendations include canceling or postponing all events with attendance over 50 people for the next eight weeks.
The Museum will reassess the status of public programs and events after May 11. We will continue to monitor the situation daily and make additional refinements to our disease prevention procedures as necessary. Patrons who have purchased tickets for Museum events, classes, etc. will be contacted by Museum staff to arrange credits and refunds.
The Museum appreciates our patrons’ patience as we navigate this unprecedented public health crisis.
At the Springfield Art Museum, the health and safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers comes before all other concerns. With this in mind, we are taking the following actions in response to COVID-19:
- All Museum programs, classes, tours, and events as well as scheduled events in our Auditorium, Lobby, and Community Room are cancelled until May 11. At that time, we will assess the situation and act accordingly.
- The Family Art Lab and other interactive displays will remain closed until May 11.
- Those signed up for classes and other fee-based Museum programs and those renting our facility for events will be given a full refund due to cancellations.
- Currently, the Museum plans to remain open to the public during our regular operating hours. To ensure the health and safety of our visitors, we will:
- Expand cleaning and sanitation efforts as recommended by the Springfield-Greene County Health Department and the CDC.
- Actively encourage staff to stay home if sick and to practice proper respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene.
- Encourage visitors not to attend the Museum if they feel ill or are a member of an at-risk group.
- Encourage those that choose to visit the Museum to wash hands frequently, to practice proper respiratory etiquette, and to avoid close contact with other visitors.
For more information and guidelines for COVID-19, please visit the Springfield-Greene County Health Department’s website (https://www.springfieldmo.gov/5068/Coronavirus) or the CDC’s website: (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html).